7 N. Pennsylvania Avenue
Bethany Beach, DE 19930
(302) 539-4118
Disciples of Christ chalice

125th Anniversary Quilt

Pat Drizd with the QuiltSara Hindsley (UCC) with the Quilt

Congregation members Pat Drizd and Sherri Plocinski, alongside Cathleen Berlett (Heritage Christian), Sara Hindsley (University Christian), and Debra Swain (First Christian Hagerstown) have created a quilt honoring BBCC's history and the many structures that have been on the property over the past 125 years.

Row 1 of the quilt

Row 1 - The church building sits on the grounds of the Camp and Conference Center, where our youth attend camp annually. In 1956, one of the campers drowned during camp, and this ship's wheel hangs here in his memory. The importance of this symbol represents the faith and belief of Disciples - that all are welcomed.

Row 2 of the quilt

Row 2 - Campbell Hall was built in 1938. The first floor served as the dining hall and kitchen. On the second floor, there were nine rooms and one bathroom. Generally, women stayed in Campbell Hall. In 1943, the U.S. Army contracted with the Church to use the building. (They added a heating system and built a brick chimney to exhaust the system. The brick chimney was later used to burn trash. The chimney remained on the property until 2013, when the original Campbell was demolished.) In 1953, an addition was added to the back of Campbell Hall to provide room for the staff, as well as storage on the first floor, and a much larger bathroom on the second floor. In 1961, the porch was added to the south side of the building.

Row 3 of the quilt

Row 3 - The chapel was built in 1963 as an open pavilion. In 1995-96, the chapel was enclosed to facilitate the year-round congregation, Bethany Beach Christian Church, and provide a climate-controlled meeting space and chapel.

Row 4 of the quilt

Row 4 - Scott House was moved to the Center in 1982 from Hollywood St. It is used for staff housing. Disciples House was built in 1962. It has four rooms, with each room having a bathroom. Each of the rooms was named for one of the 12 disciples. Stone House was moved to the center in 1999, from the southwest corner of Garfield Pkwy. and Atlantic Ave.

Row 5 of the quilt

Row 5 - The new Tabernacle was dedicated in 2001. It serves as the dining hall and includes a kitchen, manager’s office, and meeting room. The new Campbell Hall was dedicated in 2014. In the center of the building, there are meeting/gathering rooms. The wing along Pennsylvania Ave. has eight bunk rooms and shared bathrooms. The wing along Central Ave. has rooms for two or four people (each room with its own bathroom), as well as the manager's apartment and a meeting room.